Published 11.02.2010 , updated: 31.05.2010, 10:46
Programme Promoter:The Romanian National Commission for Nuclear Activities Control - Comisia Nationala pentru Controlul Activitatilor Nucleare (CNCAN)
Main Programme Partner:Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority (NRPA)
Other partners: Societatea Nationala Nuclearelectrica S.A. (SNN)International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
Total programme cost:€ 4.120.000
Programme organisation and timeline:All programme activities are organised under an IAEA Extra Budgetary Programme (EBP) and are expected to be completed by 30.04.2011.
Background:The Romanian National Commission for Nuclear Activities Control (CNCAN) and the Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority (NRPA) have agreed to fund an IAEA Extra Budgetary Programme (EBP) on safe nuclear energy in Romania. The programme aims to reduce the risk of nuclear accidents and improve preparedness and response of emergency organizations and personnel in Romania.
85% of the programme funds come from a grant from Innovation Norway (project: 2008/115227) on behalf of the Norwegian Government on the basis of an application from CNCAN, the project promoter, and NRPA, the project partner. The rest of 15% of the programme funds come from Romania in form of cash and in-kind (human resources) contributions.
The programme consists of ten projects that address the enhancement needs of the Romanian National Commission for Nuclear Activities Control (CNCAN) and of the Romanian nuclear power plant operator (SNN) regarding safety related activities. The programme has a special focus on the revision and establishment of regulatory instruments such as regulations, guidelines, documents and quality assurance of regulatory activities. Improvements will be done in five focus areas: safety assessment, safety culture, capacity building, emergency preparedness, and management systems.
On the regulator side the programme aims to:
On the nuclear power plant operator side the programme intends to:
NRPA role in the programme: As main partner in the programme, NRPA assists CNCAN, the project promoter, in fulfilling the implementation of the programme. NRPA participates in the management of the programme. NRPA also assist with legal issues related to the programme, including establishing relevant agreements between all organizations involved in the programme, working out solutions to fulfil programme funder’s requirements, while maintaining all organisations’ internal policies and procedures. Furthermore, NRPA continually assesses the programme goals and objectives against programme indicators as well as recommended measures from the Convention on Nuclear Safety. NRPA manages the programme financial account and transfers funds to the programme partners. NRPA organizes programme’s external audits and assist to the programme participants in communication with Innovation Norway.
Important programme events:
Contact person:Pavel Tishakov, Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority: firstname.lastname@example.orgExternal links:• CNCAN• SNN• IAEA , EBP Romania page• Innovation Norway